Match Report
Marlborough College Malaysia Boys-U18A vs  Stamford American International School (SAIS)
On: Saturday, 30 Sep 2017
Venue: Away

Despite our struggles in the previous game, I told the boys to stick to the formation and shape which we had performed so well with in the morning for our final game of the day. The first 10 minutes were an end to end affair and both teams had chances to open the scoring. A nightmare 3 minutes was to follow and we suddenly found ourselves 3-0 down after pressing the self destruct button on numerous occasions. We came in to half time 3-0 down and in the last 5 minutes I had noticed where we were going wrong beyond simple mistakes.

During the half time break, I decided to change our shape back to what we knew. Whilst I had no lost faith in the boys, it was clear we were being overrun in the midfield. The play improved and again we began to match Stamford as we had in the first part of the first half. David was able to volley home a loose ball in the box from a corner to get us onto the scoresheet. With more of the ball, we grew in confidence and a driving run from Dion saw him continue from his own box into Stamford's half before cracking a shot from outside the box saw us peg it back to 3-2 with 3 minutes to go. We worked and worked for those 3 minutes and with the extra man in midfield had chances. A ball into the box saw Henrick get right across his man and get a foot on it to nutmeg the goalkeeper to make it 3-3 with less than 30 seconds on the clock.

The boys had worked emphatically in that second half but especially in those last 10 minutes for me. At full time, I apologised to them for the fact that I had put them out in a formation that asked a lot of them all day and simply didn't work for this game. The boy's were amazed that I had noticed what needed to be done and that we were able to dominate a game despite trailing 3-0 but I cannot emphasise how the credit was owed to the boys for the way they again adapted and turned it round.

Overall, I was really pleased with the boys in many aspects. Their behaviour on and off the pitch was recognisable throughout the weekend, both at UWC East and on Friday evening in Singapore. Whilst results on the whole do not look positive on the outset, the way the boys played in an extremely tough formation with its complexities with no training was always going to be difficult and I was delighted we were able to finish the day on a real high note. Well done boys - Mr Harvey.